I have made this lasagna a million times and it has become one of my family’s favourites. Last year we decided to cut out pasta and potatoes from our food so I had to come up with an alternative so here is my version of a lasagna without pasta and no bechamel sauce (don’t worry it’s still delicious).
Adjust the recipe to whatever you like and what you have in your fridge. It will be good anyways, I’m sure!
You need (for 4 persons)
500-1000 gram of low fat minced beef
1 large squash/zucchini
1 large onion
Garlic to your tasting
4-6 fresh tomatoes
About 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese (if you like)
100-150 g of fresh mozzarella
1 can of tomatoes
Some low fat cream to thicken the sauce (doesn’t have to be cream, you can also mix a bit of flour with a bit of water ratio 1:3)
Salt, pepper, chili, paprika etc to your liking
- Slice onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes until clear. If you want paprika in your sauce add it now, it helps it develop its taste. Mushrooms as well.
- Add the minced meat and saute on high heat until everything is cooked.
- Add your canned tomatoes and cook for about 15-20 minutes until it’s thickened. Season with salt, pepper and chili. Make the sauce a bit hotter, saltier etc than you normally would as it loses a bit of the taste in the oven.
- Whilst the meat is cooking, prepare all of your vegetables. I like to use red pepper, leeks, tomatoes, carrots, spring onions etc. Just whatever you have in your fridge and like. It’s all healthy!
- Important as you use the squash instead of pasta you have to make strips instead of cutting it into pieces like the other vegetables. I use a cheese thingy to make the strips. Always remove most of the seeds as they tend to make the lasagna watery.
- Check if your sauce is thick enough. If not add cream. Season again. Add fresh basil.
It’s important your sauce isn’t watery as it will along with the water in your vegetables make the lasagne very watery and that’s not nice.
Now make the lasagna!
You begin with a thin layer of cottage cheese (just to make sure it doesn’t burn in the bottom). If you don’t have it it’s not a disaster.
- Then add a layer of squash strips
- Your sauce
Top it of with shredded fresh mozzarella.
Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes on 220 °C.
When golden it’s done! Enjoy.